Saturday, May 2, 2015

Talking a bit about the third project I've been working on...

Wow it's been a while since my last post. :/


So I have been working on three projects pretty much simultaneously; any time one is not coming easily, one of the others takes over and I still have plenty to do.


Currently, the next book of the Spellscribed series is very important to me. My second book, MOON FALL, will be important, but not yet. The third project though, is a bit of an attention hog. Whenever I am tired of writing for Spellscribed, this third project is on my mind.


I know that some fantasy readers are gamers, and some gamers are fantasy readers, but that doesn't mean that all of my current fanbase would be interested in project 3.


I'm working on a Roleplaying Game system. It's currently called "Lost Server", and it's a tabletop roleplaying game where you play a person who is trapped in a fantasy world styled MMORPG. This is akin to a few other media sources out there (Those of you who watch anime may see a few series that rings a bell). But also along the lines of TRON.


The system is meant to incorporate the feel of a MMORPG without all the whole 'gotta buy the game and log in and find friends and form a party and go wipe on a dungeon fifty times' appeal that some games have. This way you can sit with friends around a gaming table and play something that will have the feel of a game but without the drag of an overly complicated system. In fact, the at-a-glance information should be pretty high for this game, as I am working on a visually pleasing and informative aesthetic. System-wise, it should be simple and relatively easy to learn, but have a lot of depth available for players who want to get into the meat and potatoes of the system.


Anyways, I was just popping on to see if anyone has an interest in something like this. I also need to see if there was anyone who is interested in doing a little art for the book; I need some evocative imagery for the setting.


... Perhaps once I'm done with the Spellscribed series I'll put my mind to work making the setting for playing in that world. :D

2 comments:

  1. First thing I would suggest you do is go to http://roll20.net This is a great site designed for lovers of tabletop games, specifically of the pen and paper variety. It lets you get together with friends old and new or just a group of random strangers to play just about any game you have source material for through their interface. It has a number of features ranging from the ability to create maps to share with the group, character sheets to save from game to game, and voice chat so you don't have to spend all your time typing. It lets you run month long campaigns with people around the world with fewer worries about scheduling a time for everyone to come together.

    I imagine you could find a number of people on there that would be willing to help you test out your new world and make suggestions on which system to employ for it or whether to create your own. Or you could use an existing system such as Fate Core.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the pointers! I actually do use Roll20 for my home gaming, though I don't really use the forums or join in random games. I am working on this new system in between Spellscribed writing, and I think it's shaping up. However it won't be capable of taking care of my needs if I want to make a Spellscribed Tabletop.

      After seeing the Success the Dresden Files book series had gotten using Fate, I would agree, but I don't want to step on any other author's toes. I *like* Jim Butcher's writing and world, and I am loathe to do anything that could antagonize a role model like him.

      Delete